You are here
Summer Camp Classroom Assistant Volunteer
Looking for a great summer volunteer opportunity? Are you friendly, enthusiastic, and great with kids? Want to spark and nurture a child’s passion for nature and science? The Natural History Museum of Utah is recruiting teen volunteers to work as Summer Camp Assistants. We offer 43 different either half-day or full day hands-on science camps for kids K-8th grade.
As a Summer Camp Assistant, you will help teachers supervise kids and assist kids with activities and projects. Your responsibilities will also include preparation and clean up of rooms and activities and helping with breaks and snack times. If you are organized, self-motivated, dependable, and enjoy working with children of all ages you can become part of the Summer Camp team!
- Model curiosity and excitement about science for camp participants.
- Meet with instructor in classroom and go over the daily outline of activities
- Assist with set up and clean up of rooms and activities
- Assist with the running of activities and projects
- Assist with bathroom breaks
- Get supplies when needed
- Help with snack times
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Highly organized
- Self-motivated, punctual, dependable
- Ability to take direction
- Communicates well with others
- Enjoys working with children of all ages
- Camps run June 4 –August 10, 2012
- Volunteers are required to sign up for three, one-week sessions.
- During a one-week session, you are scheduled for the same shift each weekday Monday through Friday
- Shift times are:
- Morning shift (8:00 am – 12:15 pm)
- Afternoon shift (12:30-4:45 pm)
There are a limited number of shifts for each one week session. Volunteers will be scheduled based on the availability information we receive and the programs needs.
- Applicants must be 15 years or older by June 1, 2012
- Qualified applicants will be selected and contacted for an interview.
- Those not selected for an interview will be notified by email or mail.
- Applicants must be available for a 30 minute interview at the Museum before acceptance into the program.
- Most interviews will take place May 12-25, 2012.
Important Dates & Deadlines:
- Interviews – May 12-25, 2012
- Orientation Training – May 19 or June 16, 2012, 9:00am-1:00pm
- Summer Camp Training – May 29 or June 1, 2012, 5:00-6:30pm
Please Email or Send Completed Application to:
Please contact us with any questions.